Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tobers
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
A7R - malfunctioning horizontal rear dial
5 months ago

I've had my A7R for a couple of months now. The horizontal rear dial which I use primarily to change shutter speed, but also to scroll through pictures during playback, has started malfunctioning.

The symptoms are that it operates without actually being touched. When in picture taking mode, in shutter priority or manual mode, the shutter speed will change without me touching the dial. In playback mode, it will scroll through pictures without being touched.

It's intermittent - sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesnt. Needless to say, when it does it's a big problem as I primarily use shutter priority with manual lenses and being unable to set the shutter speed is rather limiting!

As to the original cause, I was shooting in a rain shower and I strongly suspect that water got into the rear dial assembly. Having seen the noise about the A7/R not being as weather resistant as thought, this would seem to stack up.

I'll be dropping it back at the original retailer for replacement/repair in the next few days and will keep you posted.

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow