Re: Try comparing like sizes
In reply to Bart Hickman, 4 months ago

Bart Hickman wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

nyoneway wrote:

This comparison is about lens not sensors. If you look at the Oly corner, it's much sharper than the Sony Zeiss.

It's amazing how a smaller image can trick us into thinking it's sharper.
I tried it both ways: 1. upsize the EM1 image so the scale was the same as the NEX-7 image. 2) downsize the NEX image to the same as the EM1 image. In both comparisons, there's no question the NEX-7 image is more detailed and you can get significantly better sharpness out of it. This applies across the frame.

I have to say the Oly image is a bit ratty-looking for a base iso image. The NEX7 image is smooth and still looks smooth after sharpening it similarly to the Oly. Perhaps it's being crippled by poor processing?

Bart

-- hide signature --

All jpegs, PP lightly...no the 16mp m43 sensor will never quite stay up with the APS-C and FF sensors, but it is surprisingly closer than most folks think or want to admit...just means that it is good enough for many situations, but I have found it is better for nature and close ups...the new Panny 42.5 f/1.2 is sharp wide open...very nice lens in m43 favor with OIS and EM1 with IBIS, the IBIS is actually better than the OIS...

I'm aware of the good reputation of many of the m43 lenses which is why I would've thought these images would be closer in quality considering the prices are similar. I don't think anybody is afraid to admit that the two systems have similar quality when you spend similar amounts of money.

Here's what I'm talking about. I'm not saying Oly image is "bad" per se--it's just noticeably worse than the NEX-7 image. You can do this comparison anywhere in the frame and the NEX-7 comes out clearly on top.

Oly on left, Sony on right

Bart

-- hide signature --

Two different sizes of photos Bart, unless you down size the N-7 or upsize the Oly...so not really comparable unless side x side at 100% both photos...

These are subjective as well, much more detail in the Oly in the grass...and on both sides of the photo the Oly out performs easily...

As I said, and as you can see, I scaled them to the same magnification to enable comparison. In this case I upscaled the Oly because that makes the difference easier to see.

Wow--Amazing how we see it differently. The tree, grass, everything are all mushy on the Oly image (relatively speaking). I can almost count every twig in that NEX shot.

I think you're being fooled by the processing of the Oly image which is sort of a large radius USM. But, hey, whatever.

Bart

-- hide signature --

Still don't see it on my retina display the Nex-7 is mushy all over to my eyes, yes the color depth is there, but details are vague and mushy...100% crops...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow