Forum ProPosts: 10,846Gear list
Like?
Re: Try comparing like sizes
In reply to GaryW, 9 months ago

GaryW wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Bart Hickman wrote:...

Here's what I'm talking about. I'm not saying Oly image is "bad" per se--it's just noticeably worse than the NEX-7 image. You can do this comparison anywhere in the frame and the NEX-7 comes out clearly on top....

These are subjective as well, much more detail in the Oly in the grass...and on both sides of the photo the Oly out performs easily...

As I said, and as you can see, I scaled them to the same magnification to enable comparison. In this case I upscaled the Oly because that makes the difference easier to see.

That would be the ideal way to do it -- upscale the lower-resolution one to match the pixel resolution of the highest-resolution in the comparison. Of course, as someone might point out, a slight softening might occur due to the bicubic interpolation, but you're not really losing information. If you're doing it the other way (downsizing the higher-resolution photo), you're throwing away detail which introduces a bias. I would call shenanigans on anyone doing that, at least as the only test; I would allow that it might be interesting as a side detail, but not as the main way to test.

Wow--Amazing how we see it differently. The tree, grass, everything are all mushy on the Oly image (relatively speaking). I can almost count every twig in that NEX shot.

I'll say. Even on my iPad, the difference is striking, and the Oly version isn't the better of the two.

I think you're being fooled by the processing of the Oly image which is sort of a large radius USM. But, hey, whatever.

When not pixel peeping, the contrast boost or USM or whatever it is does make the image pop nicely. Myself, I'm not a fan of oversharpening and try to avoid it. Too much sharpening messes with the low-level detail -- so does NR. But people continue to look at these things as good, so I dunno..... maybe its just me.

Bart

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Gary W.

Just not seeing what you gents are seeing...the Oly shot has many more details overall...100% crops from both...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow