Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
c0nstrictor
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
Sony A77 vs A99 for Concert Photography
6 months ago

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, but I am not a new forumer, nor am I a "new" (new) photographer I started just around a year ago, but quickly moved up from an A57 to an A77, and my skills have been rapidly improving ever since. I have now gotten into concert photography, and after shooting a couple concerts with my A77, I have started to see some problems with it. It's a great camera, but the high ISO noise is pretty high, even with some post production (of course I shoot in RAW! ). I have been thinking about getting an A99 even before I got the A77, but didn't have the money at the time. I am now working harder and am seriously thinking about getting the A99 and selling the A77 to get that rich, low high ISO noise.

So I have come to question you about this endeavor. Should I get the A99 and sell the A77? Is it really that worth it? I can get one used for around $1200, which would mean I would have to sell the A77 and some other stuff (I'm guessing all the gear I am selling should cost around $1000-$1200), and take out a "loan" from my parents (by the way, I'm 16). I have done a ton of research, but what do you guys think about having an A99 over an A77? Thanks!

And here's a shot of a concert I was at (Dystopia @Toad's Place, CT) at ISO 2500, 70mm, f/2.8, 1/200th shutter speed to show how much the noise is visible, even with post noise reduction. (Any tips on noise reduction would be great too!)

EDIT: By the way, the image looks a little better on my computer in Lightroom, so try clicking on the image to get better quality)

c0nstrictor's gear list:c0nstrictor's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +4 more
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow