So Long Fuji

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Peter Sills
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?
Gone the Other Way...
In reply to Chrisd999, 9 months ago

Interesting post, especially as I've gone the other way.

I have a GREAT relationship with Sony.  In fact I had the NEX-7 prior to release and took it on an assignment to Cuba.  Sony wrote an article about it using my photos.  No doubt Sony makes good cameras.

Why switch to Fuji?

Sony doesn't understand photography, and I can tell you they probably never will.  Their saving grace is video and the focus in development is heavily in that direction.  Look at their camera designs.  Their color balance is favored towards video and their control scheme's are designed by the same people who design their camcorders.  While their lens selection and quality is poor, I don't ever expect it to reach Fuji levels.  Sony rely upon third-parties to fulfill ths for them.  Also, due to their camera design, while the camera may be smaller than a standard DSLR, their lenses will be quite similar in size, ergo very little benefit to the system overall.

In the end, for me, it comes down to image quality, and Sony just doesn't have it.  Look, if you want detail, buy a used Pentax 645D.  The prices are about to plummet as the new one comes out.  However, I lost faith in Sony's ability to compete in the future and to produce a quality product aimed at serious photographers.

I wish you well.  However, remember it is not the equipment that makes the photograph, it is the photographer!

-- hide signature --

Peter Sills
Digital Focus
www.digitalfocus.net
www.focusstudios.com

Peter Sills's gear list:Peter Sills's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9-P Fujifilm X-E1 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow