HDR with my 7D ?

Started Mar 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Fish Chris
Fish Chris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,987
HDR with my 7D ?

Although I did not buy my 7D for HDR stuff (I still shoot mostly wildlife).... I know their are lots of better choices, probably most FF's ?

Anyway, I started thinking about shooting nearly ALL of the stuff I might shoot from a tripod, with at least, 3 separate exposures. I mean, why not ?

From what I've seen, even moderate HDR effect is just great for most landscapes, or man made structures, etc.

So I was surfing around, and I found this article. Only about 87 typos, but sounds like the guy has tried this, and made it work.....

http://paintbylight.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-setup-canon-7d-to-take-hdr-shots.html

The thing that throws me though, is that he was acting like the 3 separate exposures our 7D's will take, are not even close to what you need ??? Really ? I mean, sure, I can see if I were trying for some really strong HDR effect, for some totally surreal looking shots {which does sound cool also}

But wouldn't just 3 shots, at the maximum span, help a whole bunch, with blowouts, and noise / lack of detail, in dark corners ?

Who here has done HDR with their 7D ? Your experiences / advice, please.

Much thanks,

Fish

PS, If this guys system works, why wouldn't it also work to simply get your tripod set up solid, totally locked down, then take 1 shot at 100iso, in full M, then bump it up, take another shot, then again, and again..... I mean, if he is going to be reaching up and switching between preset modes, and such, anyway. Besides, I wouldn't want to tie up all 3 of my preset modes, just for HDR. I'll be shooting a lot of other stuff too....

Heck, 3 shots is not enough ? How about 1 at each of 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800, 1000, 1250, 1600 ?

And ya' know, I have no idea why this might be, but I read in another article about layering shots for HDR, and it said about the number of shots > "The more, the merrier" ?

Hmmmm....

Fish Chris's gear list:Fish Chris's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow