Show Your Favorite Image Captured With Your 70-400mm G / G2

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 15,509
Like?
Re: Ed at Ridersite - Red Fox: Show Your Favorite Image Captured With Your 70-400mm G / G2
In reply to William Curtindale, 6 months ago

William Curtindale wrote:

Ed, thanks for joining the fun. All your images as usual are beautiful but that Red Fox blows my mind. I want so much to find a Red Fox in the wild.

We have quite a few around here.  Strange thing about this shot, it was through a very small hole in the brush.  I was shocked that it came out as well as it did.

One thing I notice about all your images is the relatively slow shutter speed (at least slower than some have recommended). You might expect some questions about your selection of shutter speed and technique (I can see it sure works for you). Even the humming bird at 1/400 sec (I think you may have explained to me that the humming bird hovers - thus can capture with slower shutter). Also all other birds are static so slow shutter would work (except need to hold lens steady).

Some of the backyard birds are on a tripod - can't remember which.  Lately, I've just been pressing the lens hood against out glass doors.  Yes, the hummer hovers - not really that difficult.  I also brace the 70-400mm G2 against a tree if available when out in the woods.  Otherwise, I just fire off four or five shots and select the best.  I find that half of one over focal length (1/200th for 400mm on aps-c) is usually sufficient with image stabilization.  For BIF (other than the hovering), I try to keep the shutter over 1/1000, but I don't get very many opportunities and I'm terrible at tracking

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow