Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
Re: Is there a next sx280 model?
In reply to tkbslc, 9 months ago

tkbslc wrote:

tron555 wrote:

With a 1/2.3" sensor, crammed full of 16 megapixels and a super slow F3.2 - F6.9 lens, unless you are shooting on a very sunny beach, how good can it be? I agree with you, Canon has been resting on it's laurels for years. It looks like even the G1X II may have the same old 2 year old sensor and does not even include an EVF, for $800! Unless it's IQ and lens is really outstanding, they will start to loose market shares to other companies that are much more innovative. When will Canon (and others) stop putting cell phone sensors in cameras

Canon's 1/2.3" and 1/1.7" sensors are among the best in the market and have improved significantly (almost a stop) over last years.

This discussion is not about the G1X II, but many comments have been made about its supposed poor value. As always, I ask you to find a m4/3 setup (or any mirrorless) with a fast 24-120mm zoom that comes in at less than even 50% more than Canon's MSRP for the G1X II. For everyone calling Canon out of date, there is someone who sees the G1X mk2 as revolutionary for it's lens speed, range and large sensor in such a small package.

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Compact-System-14-42mm-40-150mm/dp/B00G237L8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393806813&sr=8-1&keywords=Epm2

Olympus E-PM2 16MP Compact System Camera with 14-42mm and 40-150mm Two Lens Kit for only $399, that's half the price of the G1X II. The lens specs on the G1X II (theoretically) do look good, but, will the IQ be twice as good as the E-PM2? I don't think so. Only time and side by side comparisons will tell. I am looking to upgrade my G12 and actually considering the G1X II or the rumored Nikon P8000 as a possible upgrade. IF the G1X II has far better IQ than the P8000, I may actually get it. BUT, if the IQ is basically the same as the P8000 (+-5%) and the P8000 features and handling are much better than the G1X II, I may just get my first Nikon. We shall know how they compare in about 2 months or so.

PS, camera phones now have 1/2.3" and 1/1.7" sensors, it is time for Canon (and other manufacturers) to grow up and get with the future, like Sony and now Nikon with 1" sensors! Canon has been using the 1/1.7" sensors for way too long now, IMO!!!

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow