How big of a deal is the small focus area on the Nikon D600/D610 for you?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
guigzy
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
How big of a deal is the small focus area on the Nikon D600/D610 for you?
9 months ago

I'm thinking of getting myself a D610.
I've been using the D7000 for a few years and now I feel like going FX to gain some low-light capability and even better DOF with my primes (85mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.2 etc)...

I've read a lot about the not very large area on the D600/D610 in which the 39 focus points are located. This is the one thing that concerns me about the camera.

I'm a big user of large apertures(1.2, 1.4, 1.8) so I'm not a fan of recomposing my shots. I'd like to move the camera as little as possible to make sure I get the shot in focus. It's hard as it is at 1.2

I recently got to try a D610 at my local camera store and thought the focus area was, as stated, quite small but certainly possible to work with. However, it's always hard to tell from standing 15 minutes in a camera store what it's going to be like "in real life".

I'd like to hear what people that's been using D600/D610 for a while have to say about it...has it affected your style of shooting in any way? Do you sometimes miss having a bigger focus area?

Thanks!

guigzy's gear list:guigzy's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow