Why is the 42.5 F/1.2 $1600 when the Fuji 56mm F/1.2 is only $1000?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,046Gear list
Like?
Re: Presumably...
In reply to Amin Sabet, 4 months ago

Amin Sabet wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Ideally, we would like to think that the Panasonic 42.5 / 1.2 is a significantly superior lens to the Fuji 56 / 1.2, and that's why it costs more.

Right now there are few samples and tests out there, and most people are implying that they should cost a similar amount because they are both fast teles, but in reality better lenses are worth more money, and we don't yet know if one of these lenses is better. If the Fuji lens is as good as or better than the Panasonic (sharpness, color fringing, autofocus, build, etc), then it will be, IMO, a bargain. But the price comparison is premature until we know how good these lenses are.

Right. One thing we do know at this stage is that the Pany has a somewhat more "ambitious" optical design: 14 elements, four of which special glass, versus 11 elements, three of which special glass. I would think that the Pany sets a new record in this regard in the class of fast portrait teles. But it remains to be seen whether the difference in "ambition" matches that in performance.

Also interesting to consider the value of OIS in itself. To me it's worthless because I get ~2 stops from it, and my IBIS gives me about 3 stops with this lens (OIS disabled). But to someone using a Panasonic body, OIS alone may give a few hundred dollars' value, worth considering in comparison to the Fuji package.

As to the OIS, the results you mention deviate from those reported by Lenstip/optyczne.pl. According to their tests, the Nocticron OIS buys you about 3.5 EV versus about 3 EV for the E-M5/E-M1 IBIS.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Meh.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow