Why is the 42.5 F/1.2 $1600 when the Fuji 56mm F/1.2 is only $1000?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
hdkhang
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Re: Why is the 42.5 F/1.2 $1600 when the Fuji 56mm F/1.2 is only $1000?
In reply to arbuz, 5 months ago

arbuz wrote:

Haw about Panasonic 1.2 has better performance? For what I've seen it's very sharp wide open. Even if we don't know for sure yet, saying all that rubbish without caonsidering possible quality difference makes me wonder why people tens to whine so much about products they will never own.

Performance, cost to manufacture etc. are somewhat considered when pricing luxury items. It is usually market forces that are the bigger driver. Also, people are irrational beings, for example, a supermarket makes more money selling the same item at two different price points than it does to sell at one. Let's say you have apples at $5 per kilo, your competitor has apples at $4 per kilo and $7 per kilo, same apples and all, just that they picked the nicer looking ones and put a higher price tag on it. The wealthier customers see the $7 apples and think, "yes I'll buy these, my health is important, $7 is a fair price for higher quality produce", the less wealthy customers see the $4 apples and think, "yes I'll buy these, they are $1 cheaper than the supermarket nearby". The first supermarket based their pricing on what they felt was a fair mark-up on what their cost is. The second supermarket based their pricing on what the competition was doing, what their customer base is willing to bear and their emotional/psychological responses. In the same way, Leica can sell the same thing as Panasonic and charge twice as much. In my younger years I did some part time work at my dad's friends door shop. He had his own factory overseas that allowed him to sell solid timber doors for far cheaper than the competition. This strategy worked for the most part, but occasionally we would lose customers to our competitor for being "too cheap", these shoppers refused to believe our doors were solid timber as they were so much cheaper than the competitor. Can't win em all.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Meh.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow