Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,361Gear list
Like?
The experience of being human
6 months ago

I have joined a camera club. The club was selected to provide photographers for this athletic event which was held yesterday (Saturday).

We were asked to shoot jpg only and were provided no opportunity to post process before submitting our photos for use on the events web site. Our goal was to provide memory shots for the participants.

This was a first for me in many ways and I am always receptive to constructive criticism of my work but that is not my primary purpose in starting this thread.

Many of the club photographers were assigned a specific spot on the course to shoot that was anticipated to provide interesting moments. I was assigned roaming status since I was willing to traverse the rugged course on my bicycle.

After a couple of hours I felt I had discovered a spot that should have been assigned a full time photographer but was not so I assigned it to myself.

I never tired of watching the reactions of the participants as they encountered this particular challenge on the obstacle course.

The water was very, very, cold particularly by Florida standards and the human reactions were priceless.

I noticed that if an athlete came through on their own they suffered their trek through the cold water in silence but if they came through with a group they were likely to be very vocal in expressing their shock and dismay at what they were required to do.

Spending many hours in the same spot watching hundreds of different humans encountering the same abnormal experience and witnessing their varied reactions was immensely entertaining and revealing.

When all is said and done we are all the same in so many ways even in the ways that we are different.

The purpose of the photos below is to wet your appetite. I am showing them to you exactly as the event participants will see them, SOOC. If you find yourself wanting more you can see a greater variety of experiences on my Flickr site. I also posted different highlight shots in this thread on the Olympus SLR forum which displays others photos that I took at this event.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow