G15: not a bad DR for a small sensor @medium ISO...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,105Gear list
Like?
Re: G15: not a bad DR for a small sensor @medium ISO...
In reply to Miss tilly, 9 months ago

Miss tilly wrote:

I have a new G15 and learning to use it. I had a G9, G10 and G11 before and think the G15 is on another level in terms of performance and images. It is early to say but I hope to have as long as my G10 as a faithful companion. this image, taken in difficult conditions is credit to photographer and camera.

Thank you, we still do try...

And yet there's so much room for improvement! You know, there's a pretty bright side to shooting RAW or jpeg+RAW, that is, allowing for a sizable extra leeway for improvement (or at least to try and have a play with).

For instance, the allowable amount of obvious noise is a very subjective criterion (methinks) and as such it's better left out of the camera pre-programmed innards; even more so because, once the image is de-noised and stuck in a JPEG, you can't put the smoothed out detail back into it any more.

If you're interested in one crude approach by yours truly...

...open this straight-out-of-cam JPEG, full-sized or "original 4000x3000", in one browser tab...

...and then this PP'ed RAW in another one and switch back and forth between both.

(WRT lifting shadows, the guy crossing the street from the left probably felt a difference.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow