Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,870
Like?
Re: Consumers prefer Canon.
In reply to Rock and Rollei, 6 months ago

Rock and Rollei wrote:

Kodak are hardly a similar example; they've been on the back foot for decades, and were being whipped in film (outisde the US) for many, many years. The difference is that the companies that beat these other examples were making money; they weren't in imminent danger of failing. And Microsoft's failings are surely due to precisely the opposite fault - innovating when there was no customer demand for it - a saiutory lesson for Canon.

I love your defense here: "we're not in imminent danger of failing, so we won't fail!"  LOL.

As for Microsoft's failings, they failed to see the rising value of the internet, they failed to see the rising power of mobile phones, they failed to the shift from desktop PC's towards mobile devices.  Are you honestly arguing that they were innovating in all these areas, and that there was simply no demand in these areas!?!?  LOL.

Furthermore, it's naive and shortsighted to say that there is "no demand" for mirrorless, when in reality it's mainly an issue of consumer awareness.  And what consumers will increasingly become aware of over time is that mirrorless cameras can do everything that a DSLR can do, except in a smaller, lighter, more compact package.  Unfortunately, consumers need to be educated of this fact, because they still have the false perception that "the bigger camera must be better".  This is something that can be overcome with the right marketing...and with the right products that can prove it to be true.  Sadly, when Canon makes things like the EOS M (slow focus, no viewfinder, no physical controls) or when Nikon makes something like the 1 System (tiny sensor, no cross compatibilty with Nikon's flash system), they are deliberately selling the idea that mirrorless can't do what a DSLR can do.  Fortunately, there are companies such as Sony, Fuji, and Oly proving otherwise, and there are smart, educated consumers who are finding out for themselves.  And these companies/users will be evangelists for this knowledge.  As much as you want to stop this, I don't think you can.  It may take time, but the technology will only get better, the cameras will only get better, and the usership will only grow.

As much as I loved my DSLRs, I don't plan on buying another.  It's not that I'm going to stop using them.  It's just that my DSLR system has reached a point where I'm satisfied.  The growth area for me is in mirrorless (both bodies and lenses).  And I think that will eventually be mirrored in the marketplace, once people discover mirrorless.  Speaking for myself, once I discovered mirrorless, that's where all my interest (and funds) went.  And lets face it, DSLRs are a mature market.  Newer models bring diminishing returns.  Eventually, even Canon will branch out into a new market...and that market will be mirrorless.  And they'll market the heck out of it, converting many of their DSLR users, and reaching new users too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow