Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
BadMike
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Re: Sent 24-70 lens to Nikon for calibrating
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 9 months ago

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

GlobalGreg wrote:

Sometimes I would get breath taking pictures that were sharp as a tack and sometimes they'd be a bit soft. I got a LensAlign system to see if I could do some micro adjusting and I found that sometimes it would front focus and sometimes it would backfocus. It didn't seem to do that with my Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens so I'm pretty sure it's the 24-70 lens and not my D7000 body.

It is difficult to comment without sample images but a lens which is sometimes sharp as a tack does not have front or back focus!

It can have both. My 24-70 is on it's way to Nikon to be serviced because it back focuses at 24 and front focuses at 70, in the middle it's sharp...

It might have some other issue for which lens calibration tests in general might be unsuitable. Calibrating with a target which Nikon caution "Autofocus does not perform well" is an added problem - especially if you consider Lens Align is up to Nikon's guidance.

Sample images always help. Without them it is not possible to know if the issue might be target selection at wider angles or something else.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Great images are often of good subjects.
If they are great images does what lens, body or technique was used matter more than the skill of the photographer?

BadMike's gear list:BadMike's gear list
Nikon D7000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow