Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?
A GM1 with a viewfinder
9 months ago

Would there be any interest in a GM1 with a viewfinder, similar to the LF1?

I had the opportunity to spend some time with the Olympus XZ-2.  It's a friend's, who doesn't like or want interchangeable lenses.  I was the one to recommend the XZ-2 actually (especially given its current price) but I never purchased one.  Instead, when I was shopping for a compact, I opted for the GF5 to complement the E-M5 I had then.  Although I've been really pleased with the GF5, I was curious to see what I missed out on, so I took the XZ-2 for a spin - while shooting with my GX7 in tandem.  When I downloaded the images to my Mac, I was shocked.  I had difficulty telling the GX7 images (taken with the 14-140mm II lens) and the XZ-2 apart.  I had to do serious pixel peeping to do so.  Granted this was outside, bright sunlight, with both cameras at base ISOs.  Still, I would have expected a bigger difference.  What was also surprising, the quality of the XZ-2 lens was superb, besting the 14-140mm in the corners.

I therefore started to research compacts a bit more (I haven't owned one in the last 10 years).  One annoyance has always been the lack of a viewfinder.  I love using the LCD, and prefer it to a viewfinder, but not in bright sunlight.  The LF1 seems like an almost perfect compact in this respect (I wish it had a lens like the XZ-2 instead of the long zoom).  The design of the LF1 struck me as being very close to the GM1 (a camera that I'm considering as the eventual replacement for my GF5).  I don't know if I'll switch to a small sensor compact or not - but I did start wondering: if Panny succeeded cramming a usable EVF into the LF1, could they not do the same with a GM1 variant?  The LF1 isn't talked about a whole lot - so perhaps there's no demand for an EVF on a small compact, but I find it intriguing nevertheless.  Do people think a GMx with a small viewfinder be successful?

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow