More pixels?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,888Gear list
Like?
David you're right...
In reply to mmmmmmmm, 8 months ago

mmmmmmmm wrote:

We now have more than enough pixels! Fortunately for the camera manufactures they know that all they have to do is come out with a "new" camera with more pixels and all the "newbies" will buy it thinking that their photography will improve.

I have printed 20X30 prints with a 6mp sensor that looks great.

I remember seeing  a 20x30 bridal print on a wall in a local Calumet and being stunned by the quality (normal viewing distance) it was from a Fuji S1.. 3Mp (pseudo 6Mp) The composition and printing made all of the difference of course.

I took a still of a bridal couple with my Olympus 3.2 Mp compact whilst doing a video of their wedding. I did an A3 print from it which the couple like and display, to this day.

I now have a 24Mp camera.. but it does have far superior IQ and DR of my older S2/D200/D300. It doesn't mean the older cameras are not capable.. just a bit more work. They paid their way before now.

However your comment on resolution stands.. I took a still from the D600's 1080p video footage of a couple's wedding recently and used it in a photobook I did for them.. just amazing.

However I don't see the MP race over yet... As Robin said earlier.. we have 41Mp cameraphones.. doesn't mean we 'all' need it.

I doubt many really use the full output of their cameras.. my last 24x36 was over a year ago. We just don't like to admit it in the forums; esp when the D700 is shot down here as 'only 12Mp' .. (but they are very good quality MPs, aren't they)

Can't see that changing..

The pixel peepers will get out their magnifying glasses and get about 4" from a print and say, "Gee, this print could be sharper!"

Why do you think that Nikon and Canon uses 24 or less pixels for their "professional" grade cameras? Think about it!

This forum is more of a "gear" forum than a "photography" forum. More emphasis is placed on the gear than the pictures it produces.

respectfully,

David Miller

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D610 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow