Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,728
Like?
Re: Consumers prefer Canon.
In reply to Rock and Rollei, 5 months ago

Rock and Rollei wrote:

In fact those arguments are surely why Canon might need to NOT take mirrorless seriously! Why would they want to make life easier for the competiton?

Whatever, Canon has a much better grasp of the market than just about anybody else, certainly including armchair theorists - there's a clue to that in thefact that they keep making money... which is all Canon really needs to do.

I certainly agree that Canon is just doing whatever to make money.  But I think we're in a transitional stage of camera technology.  DSLR sales are down (at a larger rate than mirrorless sales, BTW).  The older generation (and the main defenders of DSLRs) is aging.  The younger generation is growing up having never framed an image with an OVF.  And we have this rapidly maturing technology that allows cameras to pretty much do everything a DSLR can do, and more (like shooting video while looking through the viewfinder), without the need for a flapping mirror. I just think that it'd be nicer if Canon were more proactive and forward-thinking.  But right now, I think they are taking a defensive strategy: defend their DSLR sales at all cost, even as other brands go full steam ahead with mirrorless technology.  We've all seen companies like Kodak, Blackberry, and even Microsoft take too long to react to changes in technology and changes in the market because they took the strategy of sticking to their comfort zones and defending their status quo.  It's a good lesson to remember that no company is ever too big or too successful to fail.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow