Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,995Gear list
Like?
Strange OOF with D800
9 months ago

Recently sent my 24-70 f2.8 lens in to Nikon LA for repair of some minor impact damage. Only the filter ring was slightly cracked. Other than that it appeared to function quite normally. What I was seeing was the right 5% side of an image was more OOF than the left while the center was very sharp and the left side was what seemed to me normally softer that the center for this lens. Nikon service went over the lens, replaced some components, blessed it and sent it back with the tally of USD 430.

The photo evaluation of the 24-70 using my D800 after receipt showed the right most 5% of the image still more OOF than it should be. This got me to thinking that the camera might be at fault. Some images shot with the 14-24 f2.8 substantiated this.

With some email communication with the very polite service technician at Nikon I sent the D800 in for checking. I mentioned that the D800 always had a slight amount of the notorious left AF sensor problem and the technician said they would check out the camera fully including the left AF sensor performance. I am waiting for the evaluation to be concluded.

Now finally, my question is this. Has anyone with a D800 observed the same right side OOF issue with their camera? In my mind I cannot visualize what in the camera could cause this problem.

Example of the problem. View the original of this image on my gallery page, Alaska 058.

Alaska 058

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow