micro 4/3 or APC compact systems WHICH ONE ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,077Gear list
Like?
Re: Did you notice...
In reply to Lab D, 6 months ago

Lab D wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

Lab D wrote:

BarnET wrote:

Lab D wrote:

Steve wrote:

Most of my shots are around 24-75 (full frame).. although my 18-200 had quite a bit of use at 150-300.. but i'm willing to go narrower range with better quality...

Panasonic makes a 24-70mm (full frame) zoom that is very sharp wide open. It is smaller than the Olympus and much smaller than any APS F/2.8 zoom. They make a 70-200mm (FullFrame) F/2.8 zoom that is tiny compared to other zooms too. IF you go with primes then the 5 axis IBIS will give the E-M1 a large advantage.

Then look at the size of Olympus 40-150mm (90-300mm) lens and compare it to any APS 300mm lens. You will quickly see the size advantage. Remember that diameter is 2 out of the 3 dimensions and APS with its larger image circle will always have a much larger image circle. As for that 3rd dimension, the M43 crop factor means M43 lenses will usually be shorter too.

As for Dynamic Range look at how the E-M1 has more than other APS cameras even after adjusting images to the same resolution. I don't think there is a big enough difference to matter, but clearly the smaller sensor has no disadvantage.

Your Comparing an Canon which are known to be poor in dynamic range and an 3year old 16mp sony

I was comparing the latest cameras that use PDAF to auto-focus.

which has been great for many years but has been superceded.

By WHAT? Funny how you didn't mention anything. The reason why is because it wouldn't matter. Even the latest Sony APS camera rates the same as the NEX 6 and again the E-M1 ends up on top for DR. But you my point went way over your head. They are very close and none have a real advantage so the OP can look to size and ignore sensor performance.

Interesting that you would use DxO to claim that "the E-M1 ends up on top for DR" even though its DxO DR score was the lowest of the three cameras (1 ISO, but not all the rest) in your graph: A500 = 13.0, NEX-6 = 13.1, EM-1 = 12.7. The differences are obviously trivial and meaningless. Nevertheless, you conveniently ignored the fact that the Sonys have slightly better DR at base ISO.

Did you notice how I posted the graph showing the measurements for ALL ISOs so that people could make a more informed decision, and you only picked the 1 ISO measurement where ALL the cameras score very high and ignored all the rest?

As I noted, the differences are essentially meaningless. The point of my comment was to note that your argument that the E-M1 is superior to the Sonys in DR is contradicted by DxO scores.   I would also note that DxO and others understandably give more weight to base ISO.  Most people who prioritize DR are not willing to trade a camera that has the best DR at base ISO for a one that has slightly better DR at higher ISOs.

 MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow