X-T1 4-Way Controller--How Could Fuji Screw This Up So Badly?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Charlesn
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
X-T1 4-Way Controller--How Could Fuji Screw This Up So Badly?
4 months ago

Having been down the road of poor ergonomic design with the X100 4-way controller--and after having corrected those mistakes so well on the X100s, X-E1, etc. -- how could Fuji possibly return to the design stupidity of tiny and nearly flush-mounted buttons on the 4-way control pad of the X-T1?!

I was really hoping that reports of how bad it was were overblown, but after receiving my X-T1 yesterday and testing it out, I must sadly agree that they were accurate. There is no comparison with the ease of operating my X-E1… and I actually think it's worse than my X100, where the design problem is mainly confined to the tiny and flush center button. (Which is correctable with an avaiable aftermarket fix.)

I'm finding that the only way to operate the control pad on the X-T1 is via the "try-stabbing-the-correct-button-with-your-thumbnail" method, and good luck with that! In my tests, I was  hitting the wrong button far too often, sending the AF marker in the wrong direction. This is the kind of ergonomic screw-up that potentially slows down your shooting on every shot.

What a shame… there is so VERY much to love about this camera. But the blunder on the 4-way controller is a dealbreaker for me, and I'm at a total loss to explain how Fuji didn't realize this early in the design process.

If you're considering the purchase of an X-T1, be sure that wherever you're buying has a good return policy.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow