Why is the 42.5 F/1.2 $1600 when the Fuji 56mm F/1.2 is only $1000?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,364
Like?
Frequent shooting in low light
In reply to Surefoot, 6 months ago

Surefoot wrote:

That Leica lens is for night owls f/1.2 is here to get you some speed when the light is absent.

Not necessarily night owls. Shot at a circus school, a dance school, a Santeria festival day, the Tropicana, and a few other events on a trip to Cuba in December. With my D800E I was frequently at ISO 1600 to 6400 at f1.4 to f2.8 max. I didn't take my m4/3 gear because I knew I'd be in light that low frequently, and with only two fast lenses for m4/3 that I own (12mm f2 and 25mm f1.4, and the 25mm is a focal length I really don't use much) I didn't want to risk the noise issues.

At ISO 1600, which is pretty clean for noise, at f1.2, a full stop faster than I could do with my Nikkors... and with that DOF equivalence in my favor... the m4/3 gear would have been a viable option. F1.2 focuses accurately with contrast AF.

Suddenly there are going to be low light situations where I'm BETTER OFF with m4/3 than with a DSLR, or at least equal - a stop more light with still tolerable DOF at 20 feet.

You can see some of the conditions here.  http://ednazarko.prosite.com  The circus school had ONE light bulb up near the ceiling, a hole rusted in the tin roof over in the corner, and light coming through the open front door, and that was the total light in a huge space.  Once you got past the feeling of despair and started shooting at ISO 6400 and f1.4 (and knowing you'd miss precise focus here and there) you realized the light, while low, was gorgeous.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Meh.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow