Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
Kickin' it old school with the Df
5 months ago

In the interest of a light weight street shooter and my ongoing practice manually focusing, I picked up a couple non-ai lenses for a song.

Wow - I gotta say there is something pretty cool about taking a lens that has been bouncing around for longer than you and sticking it on your digital camera. I was not expecting much and what I got has been good images and a lot of fun. Mix in a health appreciation for all those old farts that had no choice of auto. This is bare knuckle shooting and it lends itself so well to digital because it doesn't cost you anything when you miss focus.

With the magnifying eye piece I am a happy man and after breaking out my FM2 for a quick check I can honestly say I don't miss the split prism. I would like to see some further development in focus confirmation, but that is neither here nor there.

So first up was the Nikkor 105mm f/2.5. I read up on it and figured what the heck for around $50. Oh the size is amazing - what a nice, small lens... I held it in the palm of my hand not believing it could satisfy me. Was I wrong.

I flicked the mounting tab on the Df and programmed it in as a non-ai lens. Opened it up and a little bounce flash from the tiny SB300.

Soft? By today's standards - yes. Good for my purposes (as well as cost) - absolutely.

So then I took my two props (boys) out for a run through and stopped it down a bit.

I am very happy... and I just love developing this manual focusing skill.

Look at this street shooter- That is the Hipstermatic:

doesn't even topple the camera

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow