Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
neilm16
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?
Olympus 25mm f1.8 or Panasonic 25mm f1.4
9 months ago

I have been researching both of these lenses as well as the 20mm f1.7. Cannot decide on which one would be best as I have a slight concern of FOV 20mm v 25mm but surely 5mm cannot make that much difference? Can it?

I already have a 14mm f2.5 which I love for landscapes and a 45mm f1.8 for portraits although I do find the 45mm can be a length that is a little awkward to use at times. That maybe just me of course.

Hence my interest in plugging the gap between 14mm and 45mm and therefore the Pany 20mm f1.7, the Pany 25mm f1.4 and Olympus 25mm f1.8 come into play.

I thought at one point the 20mm f1.7 was an easy choice but I also had a very soft spot for the 25mm f1.4 mainly because it was very highly regarded. To confuse me further the 25mm f1.4 has recently been reduced in the UK from £429 to £379 which means its tantalisingly close, just £90 more than the 20mm f1.7 currently around the £290 mark.

However Olympus then release the new 25mm f1.8 at £369 just £10 cheaper than the Pany.

One thing is really confusing me. I have seen many people write about the lovely rendering and colours from the Pany 25mm f1.4 setting it apart in many peoples eyes from other lenses which I felt would make the Pany 25mm f1.4 the best choice for pure IQ and quality.

However having just read Robin Wong's direct comparison with plenty of examples and it appears that all that lovely rendering is either non exsistent or has been matched by the Olympus 25mm?

If anyone has any sound advice or good examples from the Pany 25mm f1.4, Pany 20mm f1.7 or the new Olympus 25mm f1.8 I would be really grateful. Many thanks

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow