This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Try JPEG
In reply to Chris Crevasse, 8 months ago

Chris Crevasse wrote:

Then, a short time ago, there was a heated debate here at dpreview about the merits of jpeg versus raw, with at least one poster claiming that Sony's jpegs were at least as good as, and often superior to, raw. So, I tried shooting raw plus jpeg for my color images, too, and I learned that Sony's jpegs are very good for color as well as b&w. In particular, by comparing Sony's jpegs with mine, I was able to improve my Lightroom and Camera Raw sharpening defaults and techniques.

I think this is unfortunately a reflection on the ability of the user to effectively post process the images. Some think they should be able to automatically process RAW images and produce good results. In fact they often evaluate post processing software on the basis of the auto presets, not on the basis of custom adjustments the software is capable of. My view is that if you are going to post process, then take the time to adjust each image.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you are post processing JPEG images you are really doubling up on the post processing. That can be done with post processing as well. You save the adjusted RAW as a JPEG and then raw process the JPEG as second time.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow