More pixels?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
pcm81
Contributing MemberPosts: 623
Like?
Re: More pixels?
In reply to bobn2, 6 months ago

Allot of people talk about d800 with its 36mp and the future models with even more MP. I am one of those people who actually shoots d800, although not professionally. Bottom line is, pixel count on it is not all that much better than my d90 had in 09, but the dynamic range and color accuracy is a major upgrade. Is more pixels than 36 a bad thing? No, of course not. But the real trick is not to just bump up pixel count, but also improve dynamic range of the sensor. Cleaner higher ISO. I'd love to see a 24MPX camera with 6400ISO matching the 200ISO of d800 in per pixel IQ. Pixel count race will continue, b/c more is better in the minds of the consumer, but above 16 mpx pixel count becomes irrelevant in 90% of the cases, if not 99%. Crop with your feet or a bigger lens! The 1% that really CAN actual use the extra pixels are those folks that can not get closer and are already using long glass (sports, wild life, paparazzi, stalkers)...

I am not even going to go into lens' ability to resolve beyond 36MP, Aberrations, diffraction etc... With less than $10K priced glass resolution beyond 36MP simply does not matter/exists.

-- hide signature --

1. D800 is the first camera with resolution so high that it simply does not matter.
2. Most people who do not own/shoot d800 misunderstand it. Color depth and accuracy in addition to resolution is what makes d800 great. Resolution alone is over rated.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow