More pixels?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,392
Like?
Re: More pixels?
In reply to rubank, 6 months ago

rubank wrote:

I certainly wouldn´t mind more pixels. So far, everything has gotten better with smaller pixels.

I have been a RAW only shooter for years, since I want the best possible output, but with the D800 I have lately come to have new thoughts on in-camera JPG:s.

For smaller publications, web and social media use the in-camera medium or small JPG:s make a lot of sense; they´re actually quite good (compared to what I was used to with lesser (MP) cameras).
These files are small enough to send via WiFi or mail.

My guess is, that for ordinary newpaper use there is little use for 36 or more MP RAW files and that the smaller JPG:s are good enough (thanks to the high amount of data they´re rendered from).

I think there is a lot in that. People tend to worry too much about the number of pixels on the sensor - oversampling is a very reasonable strategy, and there is no reason that you have to store or transmit 36MP just because your camera's sensor has that many.

One thing I wondered is why JPEG2000 never took off - it provides something intermediate between the old 8 bit JPEG files and keeping the whole raw.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow