Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jhaber
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
A lesson from Nikon
9 months ago

Are we prepared to reconsider what the concept of technological advancement with specific reference to megapixel count really means? Nikon  with the D4s is attempting to teach us a lesson that I am convinced will be very unsettling with most die-heart technophiles. After a given megapixel count, (16) there are more important criteria to focus on ( pun intended.) The new flagship has no more megapixels than its predecessor and only 4 more than the D3s or D3( which came out about 10 years ago.) Nikon could have for six thousand dollars included a chip capable of recording 24,r 36 or possibly more megapixels. Why did they choose not to? I am presuming and I am sure there will be many who  will disagree  that Nikon made a very conscious decision to opt for "quality megapixels " and quality processing of signal rather than sheer number of megapixels. That realization now begs the question, "Why not have both?" The only answer that I can offer is that Nikon felt that it had to sacrifice one or the other. Is the technology  that is currently at Nikon's disposal still so compromised that Nikon cannot satisfy high megapixel count 24 or 36 without a sacrifice in processing. One  plausible response is the need for a high frame rate per second. I am very suspicious that that is not the real  answer. The next issues is whether Nikon is forcing us to question the marketing concept behind the D800 or D800e. Is Nikon saying, unintentionally, that it is purposely choosing not to include a 36 megapixel chip in its flagship standard bearer because it fails to meet "professional standards"

Many questions have generated. Few confident answers are offered.

jhaber's gear list:jhaber's gear list
Olympus Stylus SH-1
Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon D4s Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow