I KNOW WHY DSLR SALES HAVE DECLINED......I THINK.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
I KNOW WHY DSLR SALES HAVE DECLINED......I THINK.
4 months ago

Reading an interview this morning with a camera manufacturer the reason for a decline of camera sales occurred to me. The reason is really reasons, which conspire together to make sales as bad as they are. First, let's not forget that the economy has sucked for about five years at this point. Second, People are hanging onto their cameras longer because they're finally exhausted by the constant need to upgrade their expensive cameras every few years. Remember in the days of film people upgraded with new film emulsions not cameras. You're slr was as good as any other SLR whether new or old for many years. The only real thing that changed were ancillary things like metering, and a feature here or there. Essentially your ten year old slr could produce image quality equal to any other slr if your glass was good. So image quality in dslrs still improves with each generation, but not by much hyperbole aside. Take a look at the D90 over at dxomark, and compare it to any other dx you want, and what you'll see are very small improvements overall.

Next the time intervals between new models, and old have shrunk to little over one year for many models as if a mere two years were an eternity. Also, and I've said this before, many of the folks who have been using dslr's are just as happy with a smart phone for their photographic pursuits. They were never really photographers in the serious hobbyist, or professional sense. In fact the more unrelated a feature on a dslr you like is to photography, the more likely you'll like a smart phone for your pictures. That's my theory what's yours?

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow