Why is the 42.5 F/1.2 $1600 when the Fuji 56mm F/1.2 is only $1000?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Amin Sabet
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,709Gear list
Like?
Re: Presumably...
In reply to Great Bustard, 4 months ago

Great Bustard wrote:

Ideally, we would like to think that the Panasonic 42.5 / 1.2 is a significantly superior lens to the Fuji 56 / 1.2, and that's why it costs more.

Right now there are few samples and tests out there, and most people are implying that they should cost a similar amount because they are both fast teles, but in reality better lenses are worth more money, and we don't yet know if one of these lenses is better.  If the Fuji lens is as good as or better than the Panasonic (sharpness, color fringing, autofocus, build, etc), then it will be, IMO, a bargain.  But the price comparison is premature until we know how good these lenses are.

Also interesting to consider the value of OIS in itself.  To me it's worthless because I get ~2 stops from it, and my IBIS gives me about 3 stops with this lens (OIS disabled).  But to someone using a Panasonic body, OIS alone may give a few hundred dollars' value, worth considering in comparison to the Fuji package.

Amin Sabet's gear list:Amin Sabet's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Meh.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow