XT1 Running Dog Focus Tracking Test #2 (55-200mm lens) plus a few random singles

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,153Gear list
Like?
XT1 Running Dog Focus Tracking Test #2 (55-200mm lens) plus a few random singles
9 months ago

These running dog shots were taken under the same circumstances described in my “XT1 Running Dog Focus Tracking Test #1 (18-55mm lens)” thread, so I won’t explain all of that again. The main difference is that I was testing the 55-200mm lens on the new XT1. Chase was way out in a corn field covered with about two feet of snow, but the snow was crusted so he could run on top. I called him to me and he took off running toward me at full speed (which is to say VERY fast – much faster than he can go when carrying a dead bird). The distance covered in this series was much greater than in Test #1.

I didn’t post every pic as I did in Test #1, because they were all pretty much the same – just two representative samples. These shots are straight OOC, not cropped, etc, but reduced in size/resolution for posting. As before, none of this is intended to be upland art (hopefully that will come later) – it is just an equipment test.

As in Test #1, the test wasn’t scientific and results weren’t 100% perfect, but they were far, far better than anything I could have done with the XP1. Therefore, I am happy.

I also wanted to try some single shots of typical subject for me – again, not anything scientific, just playing with a new camera literally right out of the box. Here is a little pheasant p0rn:

Those birds, of course, were in an area where they can’t be hunted – you don’t see them like that in the field. I often take photos of the dogs (well, “dog” - now that dear, sweet Maggie has passed and I don’t yet have a new pup) at work. Here are a few quick attempts with the new camera:

Finally, another category of common photography for me is landscape-type shots of the beautiful places we are privileged to hunt/explore, so I took a whack at depicting the red roofs on an abandoned 18th century farmstead in the snow:

Overall, I am quite pleased so far and am anxious now to start really learning the new camera and trying to make some good images with it. Your thoughts and comment are much appreciated.

Best!

Greg

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow