XT1 Running Dog Focus Tracking Test #1 (18-55mm lens)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083Gear list
Like?
XT1 Running Dog Focus Tracking Test #1 (18-55mm lens)
5 months ago

I thought I’d share this with you, FWIW. These are some of the very first shots taken with my brand new XT1. I had just picked it up as Chase and I were heading out to do a little late winter hunting. I unboxed it in the Jeep, stripped the memory card and the half-charged battery out of the XP1, slapped the 18-55mm lens on the new camera and went out with it, not yet having glanced at the manual, but hoping to find a circumstance that would allow me to do at least a primitive test of the focus tracking. One of the primary reasons I bought the XT1 was to get much better focus tracking on retrieves and running dog shots than the XP1 provided.

I was lucky enough to get a bird and Chase retrieved it, running to me at high speed. I was using the 8 fps burst mode and the CF focus mode setting. The next time I do this, I’ll lower the ISO to get a larger aperture and smaller DOF, which would have been a better test.

These shots are all resized for posting and cropped to give a better view of the focus on the dog (except the last one which gives an idea what the full-frame pic looked like), but otherwise OOC.

As noted above, this wasn’t the most scientific test to say the least, and the results weren't 100% perfect, but I think I can say that the new XT1 is light years ahead of the XP1 when it comes to handling this sort of shot - and that's very important to me. The very well sorted-out analog controls (love them!), the weatherproofing and the excellent EVF are all major pluses. So, I have no regrets having made the purchase at this point.

Best!

Greg

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow