Why is the 42.5 F/1.2 $1600 when the Fuji 56mm F/1.2 is only $1000?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
BeaverTerror
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Re: Why is the 42.5 F/1.2 $1600 when the Fuji 56mm F/1.2 is only $1000?
In reply to BeaverTerror, 9 months ago

I've made an Excel spreadsheet comparing similar Fuji and M43 lenses. This isn't a comprehensive list of lenses available, just the lenses I am interested in. I have included the full frame equivalent focal length and apertures. I don't want to get into an argument about aperture equivalencies in depth of field or exposure. I understand that F/1.2 is F/1.2 no matter what sensor size you're using. Nevertheless, at the same aperture, the total amount of light hitting a M43 sensor is less than that hitting an APS-C sensor, due to the smaller area of the sensor. The aperture values indicate the total amount of light hitting the sensor, taking into account the differing sensor sizes, and give an idea of the type of noise performance that can be expected from that sensor/lense combination.

We can see that the Fuji is more expensive at the wide zoom and 35mm equivalent lengths. M43 is more expensive at the 85mm equivalent length. The 50 and tele zoom prices are similar. The tele zooms are not really a perfect comparison because they are of very different equivalent focal lengths. They represent the current available offerings from each system. They are the same price. Fuji will ever replace M43 in the telephoto length for me. Removing the tele zoom from consideration, we can see that for $100 less in the total cost of the body plus four lenses, the Fuji delivers equal or faster apertures with a larger sensor, but with no image stabilization except in the wide zoom where it is not really needed. Fuji's larger format sensor means you can shoot it at a higher ISO and faster shutter speed, but this difference isn't enough to catch up to Olympus' 3 stop IS.

It really comes down to how much the user's application includes hand held low light shooting. If you're a daylight outdoor photographer like myself (mountaineering), you'll be reaching for a ND filter anyway.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Meh.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow