Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,164Gear list
Like?
Flash question
7 months ago

I use flash a lot, typically off camera with some PocketWizards. I had a look at the Fuji flashes again, dismissed them as way too small the last time I looked, but since B&H have some reasonable priced flashes on offer I thought I should have another look.

OK here are my questions:

1. The EF-X20 has iFlash (I assume that is Fuji-speak for TTL?) GN20 and uses 2 AAA batteries, the head canot be turned or otherwise bent for bounce flash. Is this actually any good? I ws thinking fill flash only, used an SB-24 many years ago with an F90X and had the flash set to -1.7EV. The Fuji only allows for +-1EV. I am a bit at a loss here whetehr this is an utter waste of money or whether the flash is actually quite useful. But AAA batteries?? US$ 179.00 (here in New Zealand, they cost around US$ 300.00 whhhhooooopppsseeee ...)

2. The EF-20 GN20 and uses 2 AA batteries (much better if you ask me...) and the head can be rotated. EV +-1 just liek the other one. US$ 99.00 ...

EF-X20 is made of metal but cannot be rotated, the EF-20 is made of plastic uses AA batteries ...

My gut feeling would still lean towards the EF-X20, but maybe there is another small flash, maybe +-2/3EV equally small, I don't care for TTL, but size is an issue, was thinking of an antique shop with some old brass where a little fill might work really well. A cable connecto to work with my PocketWizards wouldn't hurt either ...

Any thought on this?

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow