Buying used lenses

Started Mar 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MinAZ
MinAZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,816
Buying used lenses

Okay, first I wanted to thank everyone who replied to my previous question. I am glad to see that this is a fully functioning and helpful community.

I have a serious question now, well to me anyway. I have limited funds (don't we all?) and I am going to splurge on an expensive lens. I say splurge because I know that it is a luxury. But I have been eyeing it for a while now and finally I have decided enough is enough I am going to go ahead with the purchase. I will have plenty of time for buyer's remorse later!

To put things into perspective, this is an expensive lens. However, buying used will save me about 30% from new, more if you count taxes.

The question is: should I buy new or used? I know the advantages of buying new: you can return to the reputable dealer, you have no worries about grey-market lenses (actually I am less concerned about this issue anyway, unless I guess it needs to be serviced), and the lens is still under warranty etc... The sole advantage of used is of course price.

But what about disadvantages? What should a new-lens newbie look out for? Although I am a newbie to buying used lenses (this if my first if I go ahead with it), I am not to photography. I've had photography classes and 10 years experience with SLRs (and DSLRs). But I wouldn't know apples from oranges when it comes to "buyer beware" and if I feel that I could be suckered into getting a bad lens copy, then I will rather pay the extra to get new.

Looking for words of wisdom, good advice, or just plain opinions one way or the other!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow