Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MinAZ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,100
Like?
Buying used lenses
9 months ago

Okay, first I wanted to thank everyone who replied to my previous question. I am glad to see that this is a fully functioning and helpful community.

I have a serious question now, well to me anyway. I have limited funds (don't we all?) and I am going to splurge on an expensive lens. I say splurge because I know that it is a luxury. But I have been eyeing it for a while now and finally I have decided enough is enough I am going to go ahead with the purchase. I will have plenty of time for buyer's remorse later!

To put things into perspective, this is an expensive lens. However, buying used will save me about 30% from new, more if you count taxes.

The question is: should I buy new or used? I know the advantages of buying new: you can return to the reputable dealer, you have no worries about grey-market lenses (actually I am less concerned about this issue anyway, unless I guess it needs to be serviced), and the lens is still under warranty etc... The sole advantage of used is of course price.

But what about disadvantages? What should a new-lens newbie look out for? Although I am a newbie to buying used lenses (this if my first if I go ahead with it), I am not to photography. I've had photography classes and 10 years experience with SLRs (and DSLRs). But I wouldn't know apples from oranges when it comes to "buyer beware" and if I feel that I could be suckered into getting a bad lens copy, then I will rather pay the extra to get new.

Looking for words of wisdom, good advice, or just plain opinions one way or the other!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow