Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Elliern
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?
Question for all you experienced sx50 users
7 months ago

I decided to take some time today and play with some manual settings.  So I reviewed Kenn and Temple Threed's blog at kenn3d.wordpress.com.   He listed his settings for shooting manual and of course had some beautiful shots.      So I tried to get as close as possible to the same settings and went out to find something outside to shoot.  It was about 4:30 pm. (I could not get the iso to go as low as his, but got as low as I could.)  There was a great egret on the pond behind our condo and a turkey vulture on a roof top.  Ken stated he likes to be as close as possible.  I was not able to get closer than approx 100-125 ft to the egret and the vulture was directly above on the roof of our neighbor's 4 story building.  I was so disappointed when I down loaded them to my computer and saw that the majority of them had a purple fringe/halo around them.  I googled that, but could not find a cause.  My settings were iso 160 f /6.5 and ss 1250 and full 1200 zoom.  I stayed in the same spot but of course the egret moved while catching his fish.  Over half of the images had the deep blue/purple fringe.  The same for the vulture.

Can someone explain what causes this fringing and how I can avoid it in the future.  It did not appear when I viewed them in the camera.  I have also experienced green and pinkish fringing in the past as well.  I usually shoot in scene mode with HQ burst, sport mode, and Tv mode.  sometimes I have experienced the same problems in those modes as well.

thanks in advance

Ellie

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow