*** This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.03.01 ***

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Derek Dean
Contributing MemberPosts: 721Gear list
Like?
Sam I Am
In reply to Wormsmeat, 9 months ago

Two more portraits from the Lake El Estero shoot. I've been photographing this lovely bird for several years, and I've named him Sam.

I really like my Olympus 70-300 lens.  It's opened up a whole new area of photography for me, but it certainly takes a bit more care in use to get good results.  I try to keep all my shots above 1/1000 second shutter speed, and always try to find something to brace against, in this case the trunk of a tree.

I've also found it important to resist the temptation to zoom all the way in to 300mm.  I'm getting visibly sharper results by backing off to 250mm and then cropping.  300mm isn't bad, but 250mm is just way better.

Then of course there's always the delicate balance of sharpening, which I'm slowly learning, and hopefully getting better at.  My aim is to find that point where it's sharp, but not over sharpened, and to find that right balance between sharpness and noise.

I think the first shot (Sam I Am) is possibly a bit over sharpened, while I think I got the 2nd shot (I Am Sam), just right.  What do you think?  C&C welcomed.

Sam I Am ©2014 Derek Dean

I Am Sam ©2014 Derek Dean

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow