Started 9 months ago | Photos thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?
Re: 28-70 Kit vs 24-70 on A7
In reply to viking79, 9 months ago

viking79 wrote:

Jun2 wrote:

The corner is much better with 24-70. The corner sharpness is very good with 24-70.

With my copy, I am not impressed with the corner sharpness of the 24-70mm f/4 at all. It seems decent enough by 50mm, but don't think it is much different than the 28-70mm overall. The issue is, my good copy of the 28-70mm I had to send back to return a broken A7, and my current copy is maybe a bit average.

I need to check on the A7, but on the A7R it has pretty strong green cast to the corners/edges and soft corners at most settings before 50mm or so. Doing side by side with my current 28-70mm and it is better, but still feels like a kit lens. I think 28-70mm on A7 is about like 24-70mm on A7R. The build quality of the 24-70mm f/4 is very nice though.

Eric

Looking more at the green cast in the corners, it is aggravated by uncorrected vignetting, even with vignetting correction on, quite a lot remains, so if I manually correct the lens for vignetting, the green cast isn't very noticeable.  In Lightroom I can apply a radial filter that increases temperature in the corners a bit and it nicely corrects this.

I hope the Lightroom profile for the 24-70mm is available soon, it would make me like the lens a lot more.  I can't even test it at 70mm yet since the distortion is too high for my chart...

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow