The DSLR vs. Nex/Emount question - how do they compare?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
trax87
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?
The DSLR vs. Nex/Emount question - how do they compare?
6 months ago

A bit of a wandering post.

I've had a Nex 6 for a little short of a year now.  At the time I bought into the NEX system I was debating whether to go the DSLR route, but opted for the NEX due to size.   I purchased the camera in a kit with the 16-50 kit lens and 55-210 and have since acquired the 35/1.8, Sigma 19mm and the 16mm/2.8 with ultra wide adapter.  So, I haven't purchased the most expensive lenses, but I still now have a fair amount invested.

I've been happy with the Nex, but the lens situation still bothers me a little.  I don't have any particular issue with any of the lenses except the 16-50, which I love for its size but find cumbersome in terms of its handling (I especially dislike the way it resets focal length when the camera sleeps).  However, I do wonder if I might not be happier with a more streamlined setup, e.g., the 16-70, 55-210 and 35/1.8 or just an 18-200 and 35/1.8 for simplicity.

This is all just by way of background for my general question.  How does the Emount lineup, and specifically how do the few lenses I mentioned above compare to similar lenses offered by Canon, Nikon etc., for crop-sensor DSLRs?  The 16-70, 55-210 and 35/1.8 together would cost about $1800 priced new and the 55-210 is a little on the slow side (although only $350).  Add in the camera body (lets just say the A6000 since that will be the new kid on the block) and you are close to $2500.

Would a DSLR with similar lenses be (1) considerably less expensive and/or (2) provide better quality for the money?  Or is it an apples and oranges comparison?

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow