Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ovlov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,177
Like?
Re: Dear Canon, I'm not buying anymore DSLR Gear get on with the M
In reply to 67gtonr, 5 months ago

67gtonr wrote:

SkipJG wrote:

Well said and I agree. I've had the DSLRs (Three times!) and I don't want to go back to that size. I want something small that is capable of so much more than my iPhone. I love my M but I want more (namely M-mount lenses). Others out there are offering more and soon they will have a system hard to beat. Fuji is building a nice family of lenses and is committed to making more over the next several years. If Canon waits until it is evident that mirrorless is the way to go, they will miss the many sales they could have had. I'm tired of GAS and buying the next best thing that comes out. Canon could do more with the M with just firmware (As shown by Magic Lantern), something that Fuji has done and recently committed to continuing to do. Outside of firmware, Canon needs to get onto the wifi bandwagon in a big way and I don't mean an easy way to just transfer pictures to a phone or tablet (yawn). I mean a way to control cameras with a wifi remote. Fuji is doing it with the XT-1 and Olympus is doing it with the E-M10. This will get big sooner rather than later.

I love Canon and I love their cameras. But they kind of remind me of Blackberry back when Android and iOS were just getting started. Blackberry continued to do their thing because they were selling so many of their devices until they weren't. And then once the press and social media turned on them, the momentum was so strong they could not recover, even with some good products that were put out. I know Cameras don't get the amount of coverage that a smartphone will just from the difference in scale of customer numbers. But I think the analogy is correct.

The thing about the M is that while it is a mirrorless camera, it is an APS-C sensor sized mirrorless camera, not a 1" sensor like the Nikon 1 or a micro four thirds size (although as sensor technology improves these are getting very, very good). With an APS-C size, the pictures are amazing and coupled with the three lenses there are now,very good things can happen. Canon needs to emphasize the sensor size inside of this small body. Canon needs to break the inertia of their small changes philosophy (M2) while there is still time to do so. If they did, I feel they could dominate.

As far as the WiFi goes Canon is already doing what you ask for with the EOS M2.

It's also in the 6D, and is a great feature.  I hope that it eventually shows up in all their cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow