ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GillyTheKid
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
D5100 + Lens Options - First Buy
4 months ago

Hello all,

It's been awhile since I last posted on the forums here, but I've been watching and studying. Last year you all helped me decide on a camera to get for my first DSLR. Finances, needs, etc, have caused me to put the camera on hold. I'm back now and have money in hand ready to buy.

Wanting to know your thoughts on this combo...

D5100 with Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens to start out with.

My primary purpose is to shoot nature weekly and use for family portraits every once in awhile.

I'm going with cameta for the body, Roberts for the lens. Both refurb. Puts it around $690 total.

Will save money and get Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX Lens in a bit after.

Wondering your thoughts on that setup?

Or

I could go with a bundle from cameta D5100 + 18-55mm and 55-300mm kit lens with accessories for $700 total.

Am I on the right track with choosing the lens separately? Or will there be much difference between them?

I shot with the kit lens last summer and was very happy with the pics. Have some of them printed on my wall.  But I'd rather spend a little more and have higher quality if it will make a noticeable difference.

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow