Medium format(ish) flim-like handling in a digital camera?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vector12
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
Medium format(ish) flim-like handling in a digital camera?
4 months ago

This is unrelated to another recent thread in the forum. It's also not a question about quality of output, or a comparison thereof. It's really a question about how certain cameras are in operation.

For a while, I've been shooting medium format film side-by-side with digital. One of the things I like about medium format film photography is the immersive experience with the camera, combined with the ease of operation. I have, and use, a Sigma DP2M and DP3M, as well as a Ricoh GR and a Ricoh GXR A12 Mount. The A12 Mount was the most enjoyable of the bunch for me to use, but I found the viewfinder a little less than satisfying.

What I'm interested in particular is the possibility of using a large, bright viewfinder (ideally optical, but I'm open to the newest EFVs) and a tilt screen that is viewable in something like the way a waist level finder is. I haven't seen a tilt finder that has anything like the light shielding that comes on an ordinary MF camera's WL finder (much less a chimney finder, but I wonder if an aftermarket accessory might be available.

Lastly, I'm interested in a good quality MF experience.

To this end, I've been wondering about the new Fuji X-T1, the Sony A7/r (a bit rich for my blood, but I might be able to sell enough old gear to afford it). I tried a Panasonic GX7, which, with its tilt viewfinder, proved a surprisingly nice little camera. But, all things considered, I'd like something larger overall. My experience with DSLRs is nearly nil. Some time back I played around with a mid-level Nikon APS-C of some sort (I think a 7100, but I'm not sure), and I found the VF a bit small and unsatisfactory.

Any ideas about what might make for a nice experience? I've been leaning towards giving the X-T1 a go, but at its price, it's not very far to go to something like a Canon 6D or a Sony A7. It's difficult for me to try cameras in advance, but I can manage with some planning. I need to scout out in advance what I want to look at to make sure I can go somewhere that has it. To sum things up in a way, I'm looking for a digital camera that handles more like a pre-auto everything era film one. I'm not making any judgements about which way is better, it's just a personal preference.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow