micro 4/3 or APC compact systems WHICH ONE ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 2,880Gear list
Like?
Get the Panasonic F/2.8 zooms
In reply to Steve, 4 months ago

Steve wrote:

Most of my shots are around 24-75 (full frame).. although my 18-200 had quite a bit of use at 150-300.. but i'm willing to go narrower range with better quality...

Panasonic makes a 24-70mm (full frame) zoom that is very sharp wide open. It is smaller than the Olympus and much smaller than any APS F/2.8 zoom. They make a 70-200mm (FullFrame) F/2.8 zoom that is tiny compared to other zooms too. IF you go with primes then the 5 axis IBIS will give the E-M1 a large advantage.

Then look at the size of Olympus 40-150mm (90-300mm) lens and compare it to any APS 300mm lens. You will quickly see the size advantage. Remember that diameter is 2 out of the 3 dimensions and APS with its larger image circle will always have a much larger image circle. As for that 3rd dimension, the M43 crop factor means M43 lenses will usually be shorter too.

As for Dynamic Range look at how the E-M1 has more than other APS cameras even after adjusting images to the same resolution. I don't think there is a big enough difference to matter, but clearly the smaller sensor has no disadvantage.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow