What is a 'Pro' Photographer, really?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
jackdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 750
Like?
Do the dictionary definitions not apply?
In reply to fredphotog, 4 months ago

I think the reason the meaning of the word professional comes up so often in these forums is the fragile egos of nonprofessional photographers in general. In general mind you, not all. I do think, however, that maybe the fragile egos gravitate to these forums (please, not fora).

Some skilled hobbyist photographers feel slighted that they are not considered a "professional level" photographer, because they think their skills are better than those of many professionals.

That is because the word professional comes with some baggage. Some expectation of proficiency is often associated with the word. In the case of professional photographer proficiency should be associated with photographer and not professional.

That then raises the question of what is a photographer? Is it really just anyone who takes a picture with a camera? I am fairly competent with a DSLR, but don't consider myself a photographer, especially when compared to many of you. Or maybe it is relative. Compared to my 11yr old granddaughter using her dad's old D90, I might be considered a photographer, Nah.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow