Henri Cartier-Bresson. Movie and hommage.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,561
Like?
Henri Cartier-Bresson. Movie and hommage.
7 months ago

Just saw the documentary "The Impassioned Eye" by Heinz Bütler, who was one of the last to interview HCB extensively.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369523/

The documentary is part slide-show, part HCB talking about his images and methods, part testimonial by admirers and friends (Erwitt, Koudelka, Arthur Miller, Isabelle Huppert among others).

A good introduction to the big retrospective exhibition due in Centre Pompidou Paris. Probably impossible to get in, and if you do get in, impossible to view the images with ease. Much better to leaf through a book or two.

Or watch this film.

Things to remember:

* influence of drawing and painting, with the great masters as inspiration

* influence of music (rhythm, pace)* importance of geometry and composition

* "making the people forget that the camera is there" (which is also my credo for candid shots)

* take two or three photos to make the subject relax, because that is what they expect, and THEN take the real photo.

The man has been EVERYWHERE and has employed his method on all situations and all people.
One of the greats.

I think that subconsciously, all of us have been inspired and influenced by HCB.

So why not make a thread that honours him, by showing images for which we feel he inspired us.

I'll start with a few, from various places, with various cameras.

Don't be shy : we are not being presumptious are claiming to be as good as him.  It's inspiration, not imitation.

Germany

Baltic states

St-Petersburg

between Sweden and Denmark

Paris

Paris

Paris

Paris

Antwerp

London

Maastricht

Xanten

Hanoi

Quan Lan

Lang Son

Antwerp

Singapore

Singapore

Schoten

Schoten

Schoten ("Dancing on the Tables")

Metz (actually more Burri than HCB...)

Antwerp (the only analog film shot of this batch)

Come on, now, join me and show your shots inspired by the great HCB.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ChoiNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow