Next native prime? Oly 17mm 1.8, Oly 25mm 1.8 og Sigma 19mm 2.8?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hartm0nn
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Next native prime? Oly 17mm 1.8, Oly 25mm 1.8 og Sigma 19mm 2.8?
4 months ago

I am looking for a little advice on which native m43 prime to go for next. I currently use the Panasonic GM1 with either thr 12-32mm kit lens or the Oly 45mm 1.8 (as well as various 40+mm legacy lenses) .

I enjoy these lenses but I miss better low light abilities for shorter focal lengths, the 12-32mm often isn't fast enough for indoor photography of my wife and 1½ year old daughter, which is the most usual setting/subjects.

Thus I am looking for my next prime lens.

I think the upcoming PL 15mm 1.7 will be too expensive for me, the PL 25mm 1.4 too bulky as size is important to me, and the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 too slow AF for catching the speedy movements of my daughter.

I am left with a hard time deciding between the Oly 17mm 1.8 and the new Oly 25mm 1.8. Both are currently similarly priced (in Denmark) and the size difference is negliglible. I lean towards the wider 17mm but I fear I will miss better subject isolation/bokeh.

The Sigma 19mm 2.8 could be a worthy competitor, but do not know how much better it will be than my kit lens @ 19mm (f~4.6). It is around ⅓ of the price compared to the Olys.

Any input would be appreciated.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow