This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 5,985Gear list
Like?
Re: Really not that useful
In reply to lancespring, 5 months ago

lancespring wrote:

a comparison, as that is not an exposure that anyone would ever normally take.

Also, the best quality JPG option is Extra Fine. To do a comparison between it and Raw, you would need to take two separate exposures of the same scene.

I certainly don't dispute that Raw will not outperform JPG significantly. But I am doubtful that this is that helpful of an illustration.

Well,

It does show without words how much is 'very surprisingly' there, which illustrates the power/advantage of having a RAW version available, either as your regular process, or as backup in case something needs 'saving'. An alternative would be a seriously overexposed version, again 'salvaged' by RAW.

As for Extra Fine Jpeg, after trials, many, myself included, cannot see/find any difference/benefit between Jpeg and Extra Fine Jpeg. I was surprisingly disappointed. Less Compression doesn't help with exposure, just potentially more detail, perhaps less noise.

A thorough article in an earlier thread (sorry I am too sleepy to go find it) with images, charts, circles and arrows documented visually/technically that Extra Fine Jpeg was only beneficial in very specific instances.

They are twice the file size, simply not worth it for any shots I take and I doubt would have helped here.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow