70D & Tamron 70-300 VC vs STM? Follow, Transitions, Quiteness?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bugbait
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045Gear list
Like?
70D & Tamron 70-300 VC vs STM? Follow, Transitions, Quiteness?
8 months ago

I would very much like to hear from any of you that have used the 70D with the Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC USD lens, and even more so from those that have used them as well as the 55-250 STM.

I am wondering if the if either lens has video recording superiority to the other in: quietness of operation, following focus and smoothness of transitions? Or any other comment?

Why I am almost convinced this is the lens to get -

The four stops of VC in particular sounds quite wonderful, Rodger at LensRentals confirms the 4 stops as well as Matt Grainger.

Tamron has the $100 rebate here in the states so that brings the cost down to $350.00. Current resale used for this lens is solidly over $300.

A Western Screech Owl convinced me this afternoon that I really do want to buy a telephoto this week. Today I had the EOS-M and legacy 70-300mm manual lens, but no matter as my battery was already dead and I forgot my spares. BUT I still very much enjoyed watching him for a good 20 minutes. And even practiced (SLOWLY) swiveling my FlipSide AW 400 pack and assembling the kit onto my heavy mono-pod, legs screwed on and all. Just 30 feet away and I did all that and put it away before I spooked him/her away.

So after watching several YouTube videos I have finally come to the conclusion partly for the excellent vibration compensation and the lack of negative reviews, in fact all reviews are glowing and very strong for both on Amazon as well.

I will need to make do using this lens with my EOS-M and EF-M adapter until July 4th.

bugbait's gear list:bugbait's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow