Handheld flashless Indoor Shooting: D610, D800, or D800e?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Scubadiver6
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Handheld flashless Indoor Shooting: D610, D800, or D800e?
4 months ago

Hello -

I'm considering a new body.... I'm currently shooting a D600 - which is now in the hands of Nikon for my shutter replacement.

I'm looking to replace it as my shutter count is closing in on 60k and I'd rather sell it while it has some decent value to it.

The vast majority of my shooting is live children's theater: Indoors with no flash - handheld. Most of the time, I'm using my 70-200 2.8 VR lens. I also use an 85mm 1.4g. Occasionally, I'll also use my 17-35 2.8.

I tend to do a ton of cropping on my shots as the goal is to capture shots of every performer on stage. I often use the same shot 3-4x grabbing close-up shots of the individual kids. It is my crazy cropping which is why the higher pixel count of the 800's seems interesting to me - grabbing the face of the kid on the back of the stage. Also the 51-pt focus - I'm hoping it will be less centralized than my 600 and more spread out.

Question 1: From what I read on this forum, it does not seem the 800's are the best choice for indoor flashless handheld shooting. Would you agree or disagree?

Question 2: If an 800 is in my future, would there be an advantage to going with the 800e for my theater shooting?

Any experience people can share is most helpful - especially if you shoot an 800 indoors.

Scubadiver6's gear list:Scubadiver6's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G
Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow