micro 4/3 or APC compact systems WHICH ONE ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
PenPix
Contributing MemberPosts: 751
Like?
Re: micro 4/3 or APC compact systems WHICH ONE ?
In reply to Steve, 4 months ago

Steve wrote:

Most of my shots are around 24-75 (full frame).. although my 18-200 had quite a bit of use at 150-300.. but i'm willing to go narrower range with better quality...

maybe primes in the future. but a zoom serves me well.. the fuji 16-55 looks nice but read it may be like 78mm ! that sounds like a big lens.

the olympus will have a constant 2.8 which also looks nice... maybe brighter would mean lower iso an d lower noise... although i think fuji will come out with a 2.8 as well ??

XF 50-140mm f/2.8 is expected to be out late this year (in time for Christmas?)

money is not too much of an object.. i paid $800 for my nikon. so i wouldn't care if i paid $1000-1200 for a good zoom..

Indeed.  A good lens is often more important than the body.

I did look at m3/4 when I was looking for a DSLR replacement and found the noise unsightly at 1600 ISO, while the APS-C sensors are quite acceptable (IMO).  Compared to my D700, the X-E1 has more chroma noise, but the detail and graininess is about the same.  This is easily fixed with SilkyPix. (the OOC jpegs are so good I don't have to touch the RAW files much)

Unfortunately, once you add a long lens in the mix, the Fuji system is not compact anymore.  Before I used to go hiking with just my D200 and 18-200mm lens.  Now I have a 14mm, 35mm, and 55-200mm in a backpack… almost double what I used to carry.  Fortunately the weight isn't that much more and the trade off is a superior image quality.

The big payoff with the Fuji is doing street photography.  Any of the primes or the kit zoom are excellent, small, and less intrusive than my DSLR combos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow